Educators

Young People

Parents

EdTech & Grassroots

Employers

Employing Apprentices

Employers with a total annual salary bill of £3m will pay into the levy and can use levy funding access approved apprenticeship training. Employers who do not pay into the levy will pay 5% of training costs, with the remaining 95% paid through the levy. Apprentices can be new hires or you can use the levy to upskill existing staff.

Employer responsibilities

The government and apprenticeship training providers can provide guidance on how best to establish your apprenticeship programme. Keep in mind that you must:

  • Ensure your apprentice is eligible
  • Employ the apprentice in a relevant role
  • Allow them 20% of their contracted hours for off the job learning (paid as normal)
  • Pay at least the National Minimum Wage

Further reading

Employer benefits

86% of employers said apprenticeships developed skills relevant to their organisation and 78% reported improved productivity. 90% of apprentices stay on in their place of work after completing an apprenticeship (loyalty and retention). An apprenticeship allows you to diversify and freshen up your workforce (Diversity & Inclusion).

How to find an apprentice

You can recruit an apprentice through your standard recruitment methods or reach out directly to specialist recruiters. If you would like to support young people then it may be worth reaching out to your local schools, colleges or universities directly for recruitment help.

Further reading

Starting an apprenticeship programme

You will need to decide what you can offer an apprentice and which “standard” or course best suits your needs. Check out the Institute for Apprenticeships to find a list of all standards and the providers who can deliver them.

Further reading

Upcoming Events

Dec 02

Innovation Roundtable

December 2 @ 10:00 am - 11:30 am
Apprenticeships Employing Apprentices